Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Interview with an intern at the SABC Information Library: Veronica Machate

Veronica Machate
Intern: SABC Information Library
The SABC Information Library has acquired the services of two interns since March of this year.
The interns are here in the SABC Media Libraries for a couple of months to acquire valuable skills, but also to help with the workflows in the SABC Information Library.

Veronica Machate is a qualified Librarian.

Questions are asked to understand the type of skills that they have to offer, but also to get a better understanding of what they are doing here in the SABC Information Library.


Please tell us about your personal history as well as your studies. How did you become an intern here at SABC?

I was born and raised in Bushbuckridge in a place called Acornhoek. I started school in 1994 and matriculated 2006. I went to the university of Limpopo Turfloop campus in 2007 where I studied for a bachelor degree in information studies which I obtained in 2010 and I will be graduating on the 14th of this month. During my final year of my study I worked as a part-time student assistant in our university library and also worked as a computer laboratory assistant. I heard about this internship from our lecturer. I applied and fortunately I was called for an interview. In January I was called and told that I was appointed.

What does your job entail here at SABC?

My job differs according to the sections in the Information Library. They have a newspaper, magazine and book section. After every three months I have to rotate. During my first three months I have worked in the newspaper cutting section where my job entailed the scanning of daily newspapers, using a flatbed scanner, indexing SABC articles and also responding to requests. From May until July I will be working in the magazine section and in this section my job entails indexing and cataloguing magazines articles. Thereafter I will be rotating to the book section.

What have you learned already while you have been there?

I have mastered responding to requests, scanning of daily newspapers and more especially indexing of SABC and magazine articles.

Tell us of any interesting anecdotes story with regards to your internship

During my first month I was always hanging my access card on my neck even on the street where I live so that people could see that I’m working at the SABC.

What are you planning to do after this?

My plan is to get a job as librarian either in the SABC or any other sector and to further my studies in the field of Information Studies.


Related posts:

SABC Radio Archives: Interview with an intern - Thakhani Ramufhufhi
Interview with an intern at the SABC Radio Archives: Obakeng Phiri
Interview with an intern at the SABC Radio Archives: Nokuthula Mzelemu
Intern in the SABC Radio Archives: Mbali Jezile - an interview

Questions and blog post by Karen du Toit, Afrikaans Archivist in the SABC Radio Archives.

2 comments:

  1. I am a 26year old female. I have completed a diploma in Library and Information Studies at Durban University of Technology. I am looking for a job that can suit my qualification or any other job that is available. I am computer literate and I have good communication skills.
    My cell phone number is 078 650 7752 and my email address is sihleshez@gmail.com.

    Sihle Shezi (Miss)

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you still looking for job,plis dont sit volunteer at special libraries,academic and public libraries.go ther and ask to voluenteer as part of ya learning diff libraries to nurture your sills and knowledge.u might be licky after u complete your volunteering ther might b a job oppening and hire u and plis dont be choosey and dnt jump from library to library in short spacwe of time.goodluck.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome any feedback and comments!