Thursday, June 30, 2011

Interview with a Record Librarian at the SABC Record Library

Vickey Steyn, SABC Record Library
This is part of a series of blog posts to gain a better understanding of the SABC Record Library, as well as part of a series of blog posts about the Media Libraries. The interviews are generating a better understanding of what we do in the different sections that we belong to.

The interview this week is with Vickey Steyn, a Record Librarian in the SABC Record Library.

The Record Library houses recorded music, previously unavailable, as well as all genres of recorded music, including Jazz, Gospel, Kwaito, Rap, Rave, Classical, World, Light, Mood, Sound Effects and others. The music is regularly accessed by staff and made available to internal clients.

Please tell us a little bit about yourself. (Where you grew up, where and what you studied and your work experience before you joined the SABC Record Library)

I grew up in Heidelberg Gauteng, where I am residing to this day. I went to AG Visser Primary School, and matriculated in 2002 at Hoër Volkskool. After school I didn’t want to study, so I worked at Pick a Pay for a year. Following that I waitressed at Heidelberg Pub en Restaurant during the night and worked at Evermaster Int. Import and Export Company during the day.  Evermaster closed down and moved overseas. I then worked for AVBOB as an administration clerk.  In 2007 I joined the SABC as a Receptionist, and after two years I applied for the vacancy in the Record Library…  And this is where my journey began!

Please tell us about a normal day in your office. What music do you give priority to?

A normal day in my office is to capture music cd’s on the Record Library system.  Every Tuesday we receive cd’s from different record companies.  You mingle with different personalities at the record companies. After we’ve received the cd’s we have to listen to it so that we can give it a classification to capture it on the system.  I’m also doing the TOP 20 every week. It is called “The Top 20 sales of CD’s sold” which RSG is broadcasting on air every Saturday between 13:00 and 14:00; it’s also placed on the web on a weekly basis. 

Do you struggle with technical difficulties, and if so, what?

Yes, but it usually get sorted out very quickly by Gary from BIT.  Didn’t come across anything yet that couldn’t be sorted out.

Tell us why you enjoy doing the work that you do.

There is not a thing in my work that I don’t enjoy… Everything that I’m doing is satisfying.  Sometimes there are times that you struggle with something, but it’s not a huge thing that spoils your work situation.  I work with great colleagues. I can’t imagine a working day without them.  They make you feel like being part of a team, and with this “team” you can never have a dull moment or feel left out!


Related posts:
Interview with an assistant record librarian in the SABC Record Library
Interview with Aaron Magoro at the SABC Record Library
Interview with a Systems Adiministrator at the SABC Record Library


Questions and blog post by Karen du Toit, Afrikaans Archivist in the SABC Radio Archives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome any feedback and comments!